Be about to do s/t, Pimp, On the street and Play…card

be about to do something
很快就要去做(的事)
93
We weren’t about to =>
pimp
拉皮條
94
=> pimp ourselves =>
on the street
在街上
95
=> on the street. =>
play the … card
打… 牌
96
=> I didn’t want to play the sex card, I just really didn’t, because I felt like we were a group of very strong, intelligent women, and we didn’t have to play that card. (Ivana)
93
    be about to do something:to be going to happen or do something very soon
94
    pimp 皮條客;拉皮條。延伸為 “拉客” 的意思。
95
    on a street/road 美國人的說法;in a street/road 英國人的說法。
96
    play the … card :耍 … 花招 to use a particular quality, argument in order to gain an advantage
批註
pimp 這字的原意是“淫媒” 或“從事淫媒”,在這裡的意思是 “促銷”,“做廣告”。
1988 拍的 Working Girl (上班女郎),片中梅蘭妮葛瑞菲絲的頂頭上司要替她介紹男朋友,她說:“不是又來設計我吧?" This isn’t another setup? 。她上司雙手扣著衣領、搧搧西裝說“我像皮條客嗎?"  Do I look like a pimp? 。
以紐約為背景,描述單身女郎在職場上遭遇的這部電影,蠻好看的。
伊凡娜很有骨氣,不打性別牌,要與男生做完全公平的競爭。